Re: mounting ext3 drive with R/W permission???

Deepak Shrestha wrote:
Hi,

I had FC5 installed in first drive (hda). I have recently added the
new 20GB (hdb) and created a one whole partition and formatted to ext3
using GParted.

my problem is
----------------------
I can't mount the drive with the permission to write by other users.

option1:
=========
my entry in fstab: (similar to mount my vfat partions)
/dev/hdb1               /mnt/install            ext3
rw,defaults,umask=0000 0 0
===========
gives me bad supreblock error and doesn't mount at boot time

option2:
=========
my entry in fstab: (similar to root main drive is mounted)
/dev/hdb1               /mnt/install            ext3    defaults 1 1
=========
mounts the drive but what I can see inside the drive is "lost+found"
folder which is locked and I can't do anything with it (as normal
user).

how do i mount this drive with write permission to other users.

HISTORY:
===========
this drive used to be "vfat" before, which was mounted and shared
through samba. But I had problem writing to vfat partions from network
(from windows machine to linux), usually some files get corrupted or
hangs in the middle of writing (Samba problem???). As alternative I
have to write the files first to my home folder (ext3) and then from
there I have to transfer to vfat drives.
so instead to doing these tedious things I just want to simply convert
my drive to ext3 and share it as before so that I can write properly
from network (windows mahcines) (which I think will work for me).

Thanks

Hi,

can it be that the mountpoint itself (/mnt/install) has no access for others?

Regards

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],