Re: fc kernels vs standard?

Mike Wright wrote:
Hi all,

I was trying to apply the ipset patch to the kernel shipped with fc4 and it didn't take. The patch README advised that it may not apply cleanly to distro specific kernels. I'd really like to be able to use the extensions to netfilter.

Could somebody point out (or point me to) the differences between the stock kernels from kernel.org and those generated for fedora, and why?

Been running RH in production since 5.2. Hate to have to change platforms because the fc kernel has diverged so far from the standard.

I think you'll find that all distros will exhibit more or less the same issues with that patch. All distros I know of patch their kernels in specific ways depending on the distro. You're best bet is to compile a vanilla kernel with the netfilter extensions patch. In fact, even if that patch did take in the Fedora version, I'm not sure I'd try to use it. If I need a specific patch that's not part of a distros kernel, I always go vanilla for it.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator