Java on FC6

I assumed that Stanton Finlay's FC5 instructions would be near enough to get me going, but I seem to be brain-dead today. I got to the point where he says I should make a link, but it seems to me that I need more steps before that. /opt now contains jre-1_5_0_09-linux-i586.rpm, and not the subdirectories that he lists in the link. 'yum localinstall' said it couldn't open the rpm. 'rpm -Uvh' lists failed dependencies.

I know that people are using java with FC6, so what am I missing?

Anne