Re: CPU Freq problem FC6

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 17:12 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 10:38:03AM -0500, Frank Pineau wrote:
>
>  > Brought up 1 CPUs
>  > speedstep-smi: you're trying to use this cpufreq driver on a Pentium 4-based CPU. Most likely it will not work.
>
> This is bz 204477. Already fixed in CVS, will go out in the next update.
>
> It's not actually changing your CPU speed, but exporting complete nonsense
> to userspace.
>
>  > Personally, I'd prefer to have scaling working only on battery power, but I'll settle for getting it to work *at all*.
>
> Looking at your CPU flags..
>
>  > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov
>  > pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up cid xtpr
>
> You lack 'est' (speedstep), so you're out of luck.
>
> 	Dave

That's cool.  I can deal without having speedstep if it means I get my
missing 2.2GHz.  I wonder at the timing, though.  I seem to recall
seeing this under FC5, too, but never did anything about it.  How long
has this been a problem for me?  I've been running Core on this laptop
since FC1.  Surely I haven't been crippled this long?  (Or am I just
misunderstanding, that it's actually running at 2.8Ghz, but reporting
692Mhz?)