Re: carriage return

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Gabriel M. Elder wrote:

I have a text file imported from filemaker pro. When I open it in vi i
see several ^]. Is this some sort of row delimiter?

It's not a carriage return. It is a control character: ctrl-]. Its
numeric value is as follows:
oct     dec     hex     char
===     ===     ===     ====
35      29      1d       ^]

I doubt it's anything that vi is artificially inserting. As for its
specific use and function in the filemaker pro file format, that'd take
some research to determine that.

Is their presence/visibility in your editor problematic for whatever it
is you're trying to do? If so, it wouldn't take much to whip up a short
python script to strip those out...

 	Or, from in vim, do a global search and replace.

(That's the key combination Ctrl-] and not the shift 6 and ] keys)
(Warning: I haven't actually tried this so YMMV)