Re: Caching updates locally

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 09:54:00AM -0500, Joe Tseng wrote:
I want to be able to cache yum updates locally so when I build machines via kickstart I can have them update more quickly from a local server. I can't seem to recall how to do this using wget, and googling hasn't turned anything up yet.

Set up squid and add
proxy=http://your.squid.box:3128/
to your /etc/yum.conf on all hosts?  Also, tweak /etc/yum.repos.d/ so that
you don't use mirrorlist, but one particular mirror.

	Jakub

The original poster said during 'build' with kickstart and that is a problem. The installer has a brand new step to allow additional repo. specification during the install. (Extras configured by default in this way). In kickstart the keyword for specifying the additional repository is 'repo --name=xx ...' However, if you are behind a network proxy, and Im guessing most people that build muitiple machines from kickstart are, there's another problem as currently there is no direct way to set a proxy during the install. Also note that when using kickstart, AFAICT the FC6 Extras built-in repo stays on by default trying to access the web directly, hanging the install.

I'm using squid as an accelerator to try and work around this.

Mark