Re: yum prob on lappy

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 10:49, McBroom, Robert C wrote:
>Gene
>Glad Craig got you on your way.
>
>Had to find this because I had just done it and couldn't remember the
>details.  The updated repos are sent with the distribution so all you
>have to do is fetch the file
>
>fedora-release-6-4.noarch.rpm
>
>Form a source such as
><http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/Fedor
>a/RPMS/fedora-release-6-4.noarch.rpm>

I did, looked at it with mc which can open rpms, and it didn't have a
yum.repos.d subdir tree in the /etc branch.  It was at that point I
started wondering just what the apparent secrecy was all about, and
started asking questions here.  Oh, wait, that was yum-6.4.noarch I was
looking at I think.  Frankly, haveing it in the above release file may
have good and valid reasons, but it doesn't make a millicent of sense when
you are trying to fix a "yum" problem.

IMNSHO, the yum distributed WITH the particular fedora core release, really
ought to come as an all in one package, or at worst, a seperate package
named yum-repos-FC5.noarch.rpm.  Hideing it in a package that has no hint
of being yum related seems like an open invite for somebody like me to
screw it all up, which I royally did.  And I don't believe I'm alone in
this camp, aptly named confusion, located at 201143 clueless avenue,
anytown, the world.

>It will update the yum.repos.d file with the updates as xxx.repo.rpmnew.
>From there you can make your fixes as you like them.
>
>Robert McBroom

Many thanks for the heads up Robert, this is also much appreciated.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)