Problem with fetchmail + ssl

I use fetchmail to collect some of my email,
and I've just started getting the following complaint:
fetchmail: Server certificate verification error:
        unable to get local issuer certificate
fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: certificate not trusted
fetchmail: Server certificate verification error:
        unable to verify the first certificate

However, the email seems to come through.
I seem to have a valid cert.pem in what I take is the standard place,
/etc/pki/tls , on my Fedora system:
[tim@alfred ~]$ openssl verify /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem
/etc/pki/tls/cert.pem: OK

Is there a second certificate that openssl liked?
I couldn't find any intelligible documentation on openssl,
or rather on how it functions.

Any advice or pointers gratefully received.

Is there something I should (or can) do?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366