Re: bcm43xx wireless stops periodically.

"Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You guys are lucky, I can't even get the darn thing to connect to my
>AP. Though the driver seems to be working.

Same here but ndiswrapper works just fine.

When bcm43xx was first released, I chased the problem to a timing issue
between my AP and bcm43xx for authentication.  If I run my AP open (I
know, really bad idea), it connects just fine.  If I use a WEP key,
bcm43xx times-out before the AP responds.

Cheers,
Dave

Exactly what seems to be happening to me. How did you setup
ndiswrapper? I am not really familiar with it.

First, you have to make a choice. The livna repository has an RPM that you can install through yum. To the best of my knowledge, livna has been doing a good job of keeping ndiswrapper current whenever a new kernel appears (it has to match the kernel version). The other option is to get the source (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/) and re-compile ndiswrapper whenever there is a new kernel (make clean; make; sudo make install). I went with compiling my own because I like knowing what's going on. Perhaps some other contributors to the list can chime in with their recommendations.

Either way, you now have a built copy of ndiswrapper installed. Now you need a copy of the Windows XP driver for your NIC. The files are available from a variety of locations on the 'net or you should have a driver CD that came with your laptop or wireless NIC. See http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?Installation for how to "install" the Windows driver files so that ndiswrapper can find them.

Once everything is in place, you need to edit /etc/modprobe.conf. Remove or comment out the reference to bcm43xx and add something like "alias eth1 ndiswrapper". After modprobe.conf references ndiswrapper you can do a "modprobe ndiswrapper" to load the kernel module (you may need to also "rmmod bcm43xx"). At this point, you can set up the wireless NIC through the network configuration app. There are some how-tos available on the 'net, also.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce