Re: Cpuspeed service for Centrino FC6

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 17:06 +0100, Andrea Mastellone wrote:
> Chong Yu Meng wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > One other problem I am seeing in FC6 is that when I try to start the
> > cpuspeed service, I get this error:
> >
> > FATAL: Module speedstep_centrino not found
> >
> > This is my configuration in /etc/cpuspeed.conf:
>
> I am writing here since I have noticed that there is other cpu speed
> daemon: cpufreqd. Cpufreqd (hosted at sourceforge) is much better that
> cpuspeed since it supports different governors and rulez (e.g. it can
> set the cpu at high preformance when playing a video with mplayer).
>
> Unfortunately, cpufreqd is not included iin the most recent version
> (2.2.0) in the Fedora repository, I have found the 1.2 (that is very old
> !) on the dries. So I have installed and configured it manually, by
> untarring and making.
>
> One thing: the module speedstep_centrino is no longer used in the kernel
> 2.6.18, it seems. Use the ondemand governor instead.

Thanks for the fast reply, Artu !

Currently, I have the cpuspeed service turned off. I don't know if it is
actually useful to me, because I generally don't watch videos or play
games on this laptop, but I am interested in using cpuspeed just to see
what it does.

How do I use the ondemand governor ? Is there something I need to add
in /etc/cpuspeed.conf?

Thanks again !

Regards,
Pascal Chong