Re: any reason to use Sun's Java?

That's good to know that Sun is going to do that.  Looks like they are responding to pressure and/or market forces that have been complaining about how hard it is to work with so many versions and workarounds.

I set up an IDS system a couple years ago and the java on RHEL 3 was hard to deal with. Seems that to satisfy the official redhat support you have to use their java, but to actually get the app set up correctly with all the right links, etc. you have to use the 'third party' (aka unsupported) java.  I call it, 'vendor hell', trying to meet all the vendor req's.  Other than java, I haven't run into the problem on a Linux platform however.

Marc

On 10/29/06, Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 20:02 +0100, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> On 10/29/06, Globe Trotter < hidden > wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was planning on, switching completely to the opensource java that comes with
> > FC6. Is there anything that I will be missing?
> >
> > My status wrt java is that i am an end-user. I don't develop java applications.
> > I do run whatever someone else makes up....
> >
> > Any suggestions?

I develop in Java and I have Sun's jre 1.5 installed on my Linux
workstation.  I know that RH's Java is supposed to be identical
functionally, but it wasn't the last time I tried it, at least with the
Eclipse application.

When I develop Java stuff, I test with jre1.5, not the RH version.
Nothing against the RH version and I applaud their efforts, but the
standard is the sun version because that is what people on Windows
computers will run.  The RH JRE might work fine, but then again a subtle
difference may cause issues.

You might also be interested to know that Sun has announced that they
will be open sourcing their Java in the near future.  I think that will
pretty much seal the deal that Sun's JRE will be the industry
standard.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.