loadlin and FC6: initrd problem

Since I'm too cheap to go out and buy new CD-ROM drives for some of
the ancient computers around here, I use loadlin and FREE-DOS to boot
several of them when installing new versions of Fedora. This worked
until FC6 quite nicely.

However, for FC6, the kernel boots properly. I then get messages like:

	invalid compressed format (err=2)
	VFS: cannot open root device "rd/0" or unknown-block(0,0)
	Please append a correct "root=" option

whereupon the kernel panics and halts.

The same kernel and initrd work when booting from CD.

file reports both the fc5 and fc6 initrd.img files as gzip compressed
data, so I don't think the compression format has changed.

I haven't checked the source for loadlin to see if there is a maximum
file size for the initrd, or perhaps an error on where larger initrds
are place.

Suggestions?