Re: digital camera Q

Tim:
>> I don't think that's the basis.  When I look at ye olde measurements,
>> there's one thing that I do notice, the unit sizes are convenient sizes
>> to measure things in.  The inch is not too big, not too small, quite a
>> good base unit for measuring something in.  Likewise, with the foot,

Dotan Cohen:
> I've never tried measuring anything but a CRT monitor in inch, so I
> don't know about eyeball measurements. But I'd only buy that arguement
> if the ordering were consistent, ie 12 inches to a foot, 12 feet to a
> yard, 12 yards to a mile...

You're trying to think like the Metric system (sensible), but it's not.
It's a case of fitting convenient things together.  A yard is similar to
the reach of your step, so you can pace measurements out.  Three feet
fit into it reasonable well, so that's the correlation (convenience).
You have a reasonable number of small units that go into a larger unit,
that in itself, is used to measure something bigger but with a small
count (you're not measuring most things in a hundred whatsits, or a
thousand, three hundred, and twenty-four thingamajigs, but just five
somethings and three other bits).

20 ozs to the pint, 4 pints to the drunk...   ;-)

> What have you between the yard and mile, anyway?

The various measurements typically used to measure housing allotments,
at least (acres, chains, furlongs, rods).  All with complex
relationships to each other.  Thankfully we're a metric country, and I
only need to know feet and inches, out of the old system, to deal with
people from the older generations.  Though, nowadays, there aren't that
many of the older generation in the hardware stores, and it's just
things like video monitors and equipment racks measured in inches.

I read messages from the public lists.