Re: FC6 on External USB HD with MacBook

On Oct 28, 2006, at 1:10 AM, gary wrote:

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 23:41 -0400, Pankaj Jain wrote:
Hello All,
I have been trying for the last two days to install FC6 on an
external USB HD used with my MacBook.  So far, booting off the DVD I
get a kernel panic unless I specify noapic.  To avoid the kernel
panic, I have tried the following commands.  They all get me to the
installation process but none recognize the USB HD.

linux expert noapic
linux askmethod noapic
linux expert askmethod noapic

I can see that usb-storage is not being loaded but I'm not sure why
and I always thought that 'askmethod' would force it.

I read that another user had similar problems ( https://
www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-October/msg01358.html ).  He
kept trying his luck at not plugging in the usb cable that powers his
USB HD and that seemed to work for him but not for me.  He's also not
using a MacBook.  Anyone have any suggestions other than throwing out
the MacBook and getting another ThinkPad? :-)

I've experimented with lots of operating systems, since fc2, trying to
install to usb hd - with mixed results. If you can get an ide adapter
you'll be able to install as a regular disk. ( perhaps borrow someones
desktop ) Treat it as hd,0 and you're good to go.    -----gary

Gary,
Thanks for the suggestion. My problem with doing it this way is that drivers and such would be specific to the desktop or laptop I plug this drive into. Since it's a 2.5 USB HD that will be used with the MacBook, I wanted to try getting all the Apple MacBook specific hardware features operational, or at least, close to operational.

I guess once it's installed, I can try my luck at getting the USB drive to boot on the MacBook and then reconfigure all the hardware specific items ... sounds like a major disaster waiting to happen.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Pankaj