Re: Bittorrent download rates?

Knute Johnson wrote:
I'm downloading FC6 and am curious what sort of download rates you guys are getting. Mine is really slow about 6-8kb/s. I've forwarded the ports in my router from 6881-6999 so I think that part is OK. I get a lot of errors in the Bittorrent log, about one every few seconds. Is that normal? My Linksys router shows a lot of Connection Refused - Policy Violation messages in the incoming log. The ports are often 6881 on the remote end and not in the 6881-6999 range on my end. I assume that these have something to do with Bittorrent but I'm not sure what. I would like to improve my performance a bit, I've been downloading for several days and it says I have 5 to go :-).

Don't be concerned by the "Connection refused" messages.  I get a
ton of those too, but still get good download rates.  They are a
result of your Bittorrent client trying to connect to a system
that is behind a misconfigured firewall/router or an ISP that
blocks torrent connections.

The errors in the Bittorrent log are another matter entirely.
You shouldn't be seeing those.  What are the actual messages?

If you'll send me your IP address, I can try a tcptraceroute
to your port 6881 and see what results.  My email address in
the header is good -- do not make the "obvious" change.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.