Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

On 10/27/06, Pedro Fernandes Macedo <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, Lonni. Something really funny happens now: it boots, but it
> goes to the FC4 partition instead of going to the FC6 one. Grub
> activates the partition of FC6 and then mysteriously goes booting the
> FC4 partition. What magic is playing on my computer?

Check the labels. Probably grub is using the wrong labels to mount the
root filesystem (and other filesystems you may have). One way to test is
editing the grub entry at boot time (press any key when the grub menu
appears, choose the FC6 entry and press "a" to edit the kernel
parameters) and replacing root=LABEL=/ by root=/dev/hdaX , so it
explicitly points to the device where the FC6 filesystem resides. This
way , there's no chance the FC4 partition will be mounted by mistake.

Excellent guess, Pedro! However, there is still a problem to overcome:
I cannot boot in the FC6 partition:

«ERROR opening /dev/console: No such file or directory

WARNING: can't access (null)

exec of init ((null)) failed!!!: Bad address

kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!»

Any ideas?

Paul