Re: Fonts do not look so nice as before F6

On 10/26/06, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        I thought that I saw somewhere that FC6 changed to DejaVu fonts or
something like that.  That's probably what you are seeing.

Regarding the unpleasant kerning issues, it does seem to be a
problem specifically with the DejaVu family of typefaces;
although the Sans face is actually the worst offender.  In fact there
is an obvious difference between DejaVu and Bitstream Vera
in many of the kerning pairs (since DejaVu is a derivitave of
Vera this is surprising).  The DejaVu kerning is really messed up,
it doesn't look professional at all.  Isn't anybody else seeing this?

As for the rendering, I can't quite put my finger on it.  I think now
it just seems that the text color (e.g., font weight) is just a bit
heavier/bolder than it used to be.  This of course could be caused
by a subtle change in how antialising or hinting is performed, but
it could be something else as well.  Whatever it is, it doesn't seem
specific to just DejaVu, many of the fonts look too heavy.  It could
also be my imagination as I no longer have an FC5 and FC6 side by side.
--
Deron Meranda