Re: SSH connection closed

Hi Ashley,

This is a nasty little hack that may help, but this is not going to solve the overall problem.

Add the following to your /etc/ssh_conf

ServerAliveInterval = seconds # (make it less than your routers timeout value in seconds)

The down side of this is ssh client will "disconnect" your session if the ping fails, whereas otherwise ssh would remain connected even during a router reboot, like I say, it's a nasty little hack.

I've got a Nokia770 and it basically disables the wireless receiver every few seconds to conserve power which is really annoying, so I've got to use a value of no more than 2 seconds.

FYI: From the ssh_config man page:

ServerAliveInterval
Sets a timeout interval in seconds after which if no data has been received from the server, ssh will send a message through the encrypted channel to request a response from the server. The default is 0, indicating that these messages will not be sent to the server. This option applies to protocol version 2 only.

Albert.

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

I recently replaced my wireless router. I'm now using a Linksys WRT54G and I noticed that my SSH connections are being closed after roughly 10 minutes of idleness. When I trace my connection, I get this just before it closes:

[SSH LOCAL ONLY] : RECV: TCP/IP close
[SSH LOCAL ONLY] : State Change: SSH_STATE_CONNECTION->SSH_STATE_CLOSED
[SSH LOCAL ONLY] : Connected for 607 seconds, 1401 bytes sent, 2231 bytes received

Is this something the new router is doing? Nothing on this machine has changed and the connections getting closed started happening after the new router was installed. Is anyone else on the list use the same router and tell me if it's doing the same to you?

By the way, the same thing happens with my SMTP connection. If Thunderbird happens to be set to check e-mail every 15 minutes, after 10 minutes the connection gets closed and Thunderbird has to reconnect again.

   Thanks.