Re: are you using Fedora in a production environment?

Max Spevack wrote:

If you are, I want to hear all about it.  I'm trying to gather data
for some Fedora myth-busting exercises, and also to inform some of
our decision making for Fedora 7.

I dunno if this counts, but we use Fedora at the University of Teesside on approximately 120 workstations. They are primarily used for animation and modelling with Softimage XSI and Maya and to a much lesser degree, Blender. In addition they double up as a render farm for use with Qube!, Mental Ray and shortly Pixar's Renderman. The machines are also used for other general purpose activities such as programming, web development etc.

What's your setup like?

An example workstation spec is FC5, 4GB RAM, nvidia 7950 (512MB), dual core or dual CPU Xeons @ 3.2 - 3.6Ghz and dual 19" TFTs. The servers primarily run RHEL for all sorts of services including providing 2TB of storage for the workstations.

What is it about Fedora that made you choose to use it, as opposed to
something else?

Well we've primarily been a 'Redhat' shop since we migrated from SunOS and IRIX many years ago so Fedora seemed a natural choice for the desktop.

--
Ian Chapman.