Re: Help: Machine says it's running hot

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 11:56 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Usually, fans sieze up only after a long bout with a gradually
> failing bearing, which makes its complaints known months before. :-)

Been there...  We've all had fans that rattle and annoy you with noise,
and you think you'll get around to replacing it, but for now you'll wait
a minute for it to settle down, or poke the box about until it stops
going bzzZVVT repeatedly.

I had one that got so bad that it resonated the metal casing of the box,
and exposed a fault - a poor connector on the 4-pin hard drive power
plug that got worse thanks to the vibrations.  The drive started to
reset as the power got interrupted.

Of course that PC was in another room where I couldn't hear it, nor
would I hear any alarms if the fan had stopped rather than just went
wonky.

I read messages from the public lists.