Re: Help: Machine says it's running hot

On Thursday 26 October 2006 17:48, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 22:18 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > I am myself not an expert on this matter, and run with sensors
> > turned off. It seems pretty useless to me. Unless you have a
> > machine which is improperly designed, or which works in a
> > harsh environment, then it will run cool enough, and with
> > proper voltages etc.
>
> I can think of one probable reason to do so with an ordinary computer:
> Protection against a fan that seizes.  They do do it, and sometimes
> quite unexpectedly.  Some motherboards will beep at you when it happens,
> but do nothing more.  Some won't even do that.  It could be handy to set
> something that does a clean shutdown, or even a rapid one, if a fan
> jams.

I had that happen on the PSU fan on my Aiii-friend machine recently. I was
getting some unusual flickering on the GUI, then the machine shutdown. Some
hours later, having stripped down the PSU, and re-oiling the fan, and at the
same time cleaning all the crud out of the machine with the vacuum cleaner on
blow, it booted up ok. I know I-Friend are cheap machines, but am gratefull
that the PSU has a temperature sensing device built-in that stops the PSU
going into meltdown.

Nigel.