Re: Question regarding the torrent for FC6

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Amadeus W. M. wrote:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:46:56 -0400, tom wrote:

I've been wget/ftp/http'ing my cds of fedora in the past, so I thought I'd
try using bittorrent via a daughter's cable connection and mac. Going for
the Zod-binary-i386, at 49 MB into the download I'm seeing download rates
bouncing between 0.4K/s and perhaps 10k/s. Somehow those figures don't
seem right to me. The upload rate is running 7-9K/s, so it isn't because
I'm not sharing.

Any clues as to what to check??

I tried torrent too, in good faith, and because traditionally mirrors
are slow during releases. I noticed similar things: I had an upload
speed of 20Kb/s and 15-19Kb/s download.

So after a while I thought I'd try the always reliable kernel.org, and lo
and behold, I got the entire dvd at some 700Kb/s, in 1-2 hrs.

Torrent is a good initiative. If only it worked. Most people have
cable/dsl connections, and their upload speed is some 20-30Kb/s. That
means you would have to be downloading from about 20-30 people
simultaneously to get the equivalent of 600Kb/s (and be the only one
downloading from those people). I'm not sure this is feasible.

Get it from mirrors.kernel.org, burn it, install it, and be done with it.

Well, that seems to be the only thing to do - bail on the torrent and hit a mirror running something like 150K/s, as opposed to 10K/s.

I'll give the torrent a try some other time.>