Re: FC6 seems to be a mess

Alastair Neil wrote:

Well for the first time I can remember a Fedora release did not install properly on my plain old vanilla Dell Optiplex 270. I used a usb thumb drive to start the install.

Nooo .... I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 to upgrade. I had trouble going from FC4 to FC5 via the installer so had to resort to other methods to upgrade the system to FC5. I am not sure if a 270 and GX270 make any difference with the outcome.

Installing the ata_piix driver module takes over a minute because of all the sata time out nonsense.

After completing the install and rebooting grub was screwed up. the device.map was referencing (hd0) to /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda and on top of that the entries in the grub.conf were pointed to the wrong disks too (hd1,0), double whammy.

Thanks for the note: I'll check these items out before rebooting the system, if the installer works this time for upgrading. Grub seems to be more troublesome lately than I remember previously. The double wrong steps are a bit alarming. I have two sata 80GB drives on the system which are /dev/sda now. I better check before rebooting that they did not change to /dev/hdx devices.

DHCP seemed to take an age to pick up an ip address. The much vaunted improvements in yum dependency checks were not in evidence during the install when the initial dependency check took an age even though I had not customised anything.

I surprised to see that there was no X configuration during first boot, and also surprised that it needed to reboot after first boot.

Unpleasantly it then rebooted to a command line prompt - no X.

I will try and file bugzilla reports on these tomorrow, however I'm pretty shocked. If I were a casual user and not a long time Fedora lag I'd run not walk from this distro.

Noted on the things to look out for.
Jim

--
We're living in a golden age.  All you need is gold.
		-- D.W. Robertson.