Re: digital camera Q

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 24 October 2006 03:54, Tim wrote:

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 01:24 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

A neighbor came up tonight with a canon powershot A10 in hand

I have a Canon Powershot A520 that works in a similar way.  On a
friend's WinXP it appears as a drive, but it won't do the same on Linux.
I can use Gthumb to import pictures, that works fine, but it's a bit I
find it awkward to use.

Gthumb doesn't exist on this FC2 system.

I gave in, and bought a SD card reader.  While that's not really
practical for getting pictures from a friend's camera, it was a lot
better than messing around with cabling the camera to the PC, and faster
to read files, too.  If you have a USB flash drive, it'd probably be
easier to grab the files on your neighbours PC, and copy them there.

That depends. In my case, swapping memory cards can be dangerous because the credit card thick memory used has open contacts, subject to static damage, I blew the original card that way I believe. I replaced it with a 64megger, and its only been out of the camera once since. Hooking up the usb cable automaticly powers down the display too, so I'm not eating batteries quite as fast. I guess its all in what you feel safe with.

One thing I did find is an old vfat bug thats never been fixed. If there are 40 or so pix in the camera, you cannot move them to the computer without losing the last ones as vfat thinks, when the directory sector contains no files, that it has reached the end of the file list. Not so. So when moving files to the computer, always start at the bottom of the list and work backwards else that bug will grow some awesome teeth and draw blood, requiring the card be formatted to recover.

I have repaired the vfat file system on one of my SD cards to get the photos off using fsck.vfat. Recovered almost 2Gigs of sports photos.

I normally get a new SD card for my camera (Pentax) and put the stick into my computer and then format it and put a label on it. Put it into the camera and go shoot pictures. I don't like using the camera as it kills the batteries much faster. Also if the camera goes into power saving mode, I could corrupt the card.

I have three cards for my camera at this time. I have filled up two cards in a single day of shooting some events, as a hobby.

--
Robin Laing