Re: FC5: ipw3945 and kernel-smp-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

> On 20/10/06, Mike Cohler <mike.cohler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > dpet wrote:
> >
> > >After wireless worked well with previous kernels, when I update to the
> > >above example, it fails to start  the wireless lan.
> > >The ipw3945D claims that ipw3945 is not found, and the last line of
> > >"messages" is:
> > >
> > >ipw3945: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
> > >
> > >Can anyone suggest what is wrong, I how I go about fixing it?
> >
> > I found I had to compile ieee80211 version 1.2.15 with a modified
> > Makefile using a patch from sourceforge, and also use a modified
> > Makefile when compiling the driver version 1.1.0. Details at
> > http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mdc1/samsung.html
> >
> > In addition I took out the reference  "#include <linux/config.h>" in
> > ipw3945.h in the driver directory.
> >
> > This seems to work well for me (with WEP)
> >
> > There is also information at the devel site at
> > http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/ and it is worth following the devel
> > mailing list referenced from there.
> >
> > --
> >
> > mike cohler

I am still doing something wrong. the ieee80211 installation went as you
indicated, but I have problems  with ipw3945-1.1.0
Firstly, when I try to apply the patch to the Makefife I get this
Makefile.rej

***************
*** 179,185 ****
  rm -f tags TAGS

  modules:
- $(MAKE) -C $(KSRC) M=$(PWD) modules

  add_radiotap:
  @snapshot/add_radiotap $(KSRC)
--- 179,185 ----
  rm -f tags TAGS

  modules:
+ $(MAKE) -C $(KSRC) M=$(PWD) MODVERDIR=$(IEEE80211_MODVERDIR) modules

  add_radiotap:
  @snapshot/add_radiotap $(KSRC)

If I attempt to continue  without the patch, I get this error in make.

WARNING: Your kernel contains ieee80211 symbol definitions and you
are not using the kernel's default ieee80211 subsystem.  (Perhaps you
used the out-of-tree ieee80211 subsystem's 'make install' or have
provided a path to the ieee80211 subsystem via IEEE80211_INC.)

If you wish to use the out-of-tree ieee80211 subsystem then it is
recommended to use that projects' "make patch_kernel" facility
and rebuild your kernel to update the Module symbol version information.

Failure to do this may result in build warnings and unexpected
behavior when running modules which rely on the ieee80211 subsystem.

Aborting the build.  You can force the build to continue by adding:

        IEEE80211_IGNORE_DUPLICATE=y

to your make command line.

Thanks for your help so far. Sorry I haven't worked it out.

DP
Adelaide South Australia