Re: [solved] Grub hangs (after kernel update?)

At 10:30 AM -0600 10/21/06, Charles Curley wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 09:23:29PM -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> At 6:21 PM -0400 10/17/06, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> >Today my previously working FC5 Linux won't boot.  I see the word "GRUB"
>> >alone on the screen, which IIRC means that grub can't find stage 2 (or
>> >stage 1.5).
>> >
>> >Yesterday I yum updated to kernel.i686 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5, ...
>>
>> >FC5 boots by chaining from NTLDR's boot.ini, using a file made from the
>> >boot sector of my boot partition (/dev/hde3 or (hd0,2)). ...
>>
>> >/boot is EXT3 ... /boot is 87% full.
>>
>> >I ... (re-)ran grub-install, which said it succeeded.
>>
>> >What should I try next?
>>
>> After reading "info grub" "* Images ::", which mentions that stage 1 "just
>> knows" where to find the next stage, I copied the (new) bootsector to a
>> file and replaced the chaining file used by NTLDR.  FC5 now boots.  I don't
>> know why the next stage moved (probably e2fs_stage1_5), but it may be
>> related to installing the new kernel and to the partition approaching full
>> (?).
>
>For what it's worth, I just hit the same problem on applying the new
>kernel (2200), and applied the same solution before searching the
>archives and finding this thread. I have not seen this problem with
>other updates.
>
>My /boot is not as full as yours (assuming yours is the standard
>~100MB), and anyway I can't see how that would affect things (but I
>could be wrong).
>
>	[root@dragon ~]# df /boot/
>	Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>	/dev/hda3              79M   29M   47M  38% /boot
>
>Is there something peculiar to the way this kernel operates that
>caused this? I don't think this is due to grub, as I don't see any
>grub upgrades in my yum.log*.
>
>http://www.charlescurley.com/Lenovo.R51.html

Upon reflection, I think that the only affect that the new kernel had was
to fill up more of the volume.  I think that the machine had been a hostage
to fortune ever since I upgraded from FC3 to FC5, which re-installed grub:
I did not copy the new boot sector to replace the chaining file used by
NTLDR.  When finally the old, rm'd stage1.5 was overwritten, the machine
stopped booting.  The lesson is to make a new copy of the boot sector when
grub is re-installed.

>Tony, have you filed a bug on this? I don't see one but may not have
>used the correct search keywords or some such.

No.  I don't think there is a bug.

>Yet another reason to keep a rescue CD handy.

Always.
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>