Re: nfs mounting - pam considerations

On 10/20/06, Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a one system that is FC3.  I am having trouble keeping its
partitions mounted on a couple of other FC2 systems.   The partitions
from the FC3 system are mounted for several days on the FC2 systems.
Then they appear  as

FC3system:/mount1       -       -       -       -       /mountpoint

 The FC2 systems report  in  messages :  "RPC:  error 5 connecting
to server FC3"  .

I can unmount the FC3 partitions on the FC2 systems, but I cannot
remount them afterwards.

mount to NFS server  "FC3system"  failed:  server is down.

This occurs after I have used

service nfs restart
exportfs -a

on the FC3 server to make sure it is awake.

On the  FC3 server side,  I am getting the errors in /var/log/messages

conrd(pam-unix)[23946]:  session closed for  user root

twice every ten minutes.

Is  Fedora 3 a bad system?  Or is there a fix to the problem above.

Hi Margaret Doll!

Googling "RPC:  error 5 connecting to server" yeilds much about Kernel
updates.  It may be worth updateing your Kernels, or, perhaps it is
time to go to FC5 throughout - fresh install.

I would check memory on the machines.

I would check swap integrity and use.

I would monitor the network for hardware error or being swamped.

Virus?  Bot?

Ok, I am reduced to shooting in the dark.

I do wish you Good Hunting!

Tod