Re: fstab and LABEL=

Mark Haney wrote:
I'm a little confused about the LABEL= option in /etc/fstab. Let's say I have this line in my fstab:

LABEL=/home/archiv      /home/archive3          xfs     defaults        1 2

And I want to change the mountpoint of this to /archive instead of /home/archive3. Will I need to (or should I) edit the LABEL= to reflect the changes? Or can I just use the /dev/ instead?

In your case, you should change the 2nd field only, to reflect where to mount the partition. The first field only identifies which partition to mount, not *where* to mount it (in this case, the partition labeled "/home/archiv"). The LABEL is just an arbitrary string that's compared to the labels written onto the disk partitions themselves (with the 'e2label' command btw). It is popular to use as label the path where the partition should be mounted, but that's completely up to the sysadmin.