Re: problem installing kino on fc5

Pawel wrote:
Hallo.
I have following repositories enabled:
1) all fedora repositories
2) dries repository
3) freshrpm repository

When I try to install kino software I ge following message:
[root@localhost ~]# yum install kino
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
dries                                                                [1/6]
core                                                                 [2/6]
updates                                                              [3/6]
freshrpms                                                            [4/6]
macromedia                                                           [5/6]
extras                                                               [6/6]
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for kino to pack into transaction set.
kino-0.9.2-1.fc5.rf.i386. 100% |=========================|  26 kB    00:00
---> Package kino.i386 0:0.9.2-1.fc5.rf set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libx264.so.48 for package: kino
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libx264.so.48 is needed by package kino

I have x264 package installed on my system, with newer vesion of libx264 (50) installed on my system:
prompt$ rpm -qa | grep x264
x264-0.0.0-0.2.20060917.fc5.rf

prompt$ rpm -ql x264
/usr/bin/x264
/usr/lib/libx264.so.50
/usr/share/doc/x264-0.0.0
/usr/share/doc/x264-0.0.0/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/x264-0.0.0/COPYING

Have You got any idea on how to install kino?

Regards

Masz mocne nerwy? Wejdź na stronę ociekającą diabolo pomidoro.
Czeka mroczna strona pełna nagród - niech myszka prowadzi Cie do:
http://klik.wp.pl/?adr=www.halloween.wp.pl&sid=905

You are experiencing the clasic 'packaging conflicts' issues that have always surrounded third party repositories.

Please understand that Dries and freshrpms and atrpms (and others) are maintained by dedicated folks who have contributed much and receive little in return. They are amongst the pioneers of automated packaging methods for RH and Fedora.

However, no matter how much hand waving, cursing, threatening, or whatever else, these guys just have not been able to agree on the conventions used for package numbering.

You can read many flame wars from the recent past on this issue, and I do not wish to raise it again here. I try to give credit where credit is due.

In the case of Fedora Core 5, the third party, livna, committed to obey the conventions outlined, and remain version specific to extras, regardless of right, wrong, or indifferent. Whether that constitutes a 'deal', a 'sell out', a conspiracy, or whatever, does not matter.

For Fedora Core 5 I recommend to users that they keep enabled the following repos:
core
updates
extras
livna

For things not found there, and there are many, then --enable freshrpms (or whatever). Otherwise, you will begin to experience exactly what is happening here, which is a versioning issue on a package that prevents others from meeting a dependency.

kino is in livna ...