Re: Help with tcpdump query

"Dan Track" <dan.track@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the reply unforutnately I'm still getting the unresolvable error:

tcpdump -n -i eth0  not port 22 and not port 53 and not host
a72-246-55-1.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com and not ip proto \\icmp

tcpdump: unknown host 'a72-246-55-1.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com'

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dan

It appears to be an unresolvable internal address at Akamai. I get all sorts of responses from "dig any akamaitechnologies.com" but I get a "no server" for either the specific host or deploy.akamaitechnologies.com. You'll need to come up with a different way of excluding that host (e.g., not net akamaitechnologies.com).

Not resolving internal hosts for external name queries is pretty standard. Logwatch tells me I'm getting several queries every day for hosts on my internal net that I've used as examples in posting.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce