Re: fedora 6 install breaks at network configuration

philn wrote:

In the text install, I found that I had to check the ipv4 box but not add any address information. Are you using the text installer? If not, I cannot recall if I had to do anything special in the GUI installer. If I did, I just checked ipv4 without actually adding an ip address.

Thanks. I just tried that and got the same result. Here's what I did. Text install - (for some reason the Media Check dialog changed from Test & Skip, as it was earlier, to Test & Eject CD!) - so the CD checked OK - then I did a custom partition leaving the windoze stuff and using only one big / and a swap - then in Network Configuration I turned off dhcp, turned on ipv4 (left the address lines blank), left Activate at Boot on (whatever that means) and pressed the button. I then get an instant Exception Occurred box and have to reboot after saving the dump.

All I can think of is to leave it set for dhcp until after the installation and configure it for static address with system-config-network after everything is installed. If you still get an exception, search for similar failures in bugzilla.redhat.com for anaconda and file a bug report if there is not one currently with your failure. Another message in this thread suggested to not install network initially and then get it to work after installing Fedora. You could wait for the Final release to come out and see if the problem that you are encountering is still there or check as previously mentioned if there are any bug reports with resolutions or workarounds for your error on install.

Beats me. It's a Compaq Deskpro PIII 933 with intel chips. Don't know how that could affect this part of the install though. Debian actually installed OK (it was the upgrading to Testing that was a little scary) - I just want to use the dual head thing and I don't mind trying out the rpm way (although they don't seem to be talking about that any more - in favour of yum?)

rpm is still highly used. You just have yum as a dependency resolver instead of needing to pull in every needed package as the deps mount. There is an apt program which I believe is in Fedora Extras. This uses rpm to some extent also. I don't think it would use dselect and other .deb type mechanisms for installation.

Regarding getting dual head to work, you might try to get this to work in Debian by running 'X -configure' from runlevel 3 and copying the generated file from /root/xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf or wherever Debian locates the xorg.conf file. Running dual head is great for being able to get things done in a better way. The dual head in Linux is better in a lot of regards than the dual head in XP. Once you get it working, you will see the difference yourself.

Thanks again

phil n

I hope you get dual head working in either Debian or in Fedora. Debian
has a one up though, at least it installs for you. :-)
Jim

--
  Honk if you are against noise pollution!