Re: Is Fedora *really* Free?

Dom, 2006-10-15 às 15:12 -0500, J.Moore escreveu:
> On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 08:22 +0100, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
>
> > So the question remains, and it's a serious one, from a serious and
> > committed Fedora user and developer; is the Fedora Project really
> > Free?
>
> Freedom appears to have a lot of different meanings. Personally, I think
> the definition of freedom espoused by the OpenBSD project matches most
> closely with mine; closer to an "absolute" version of freedom.
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq1.html#ReallyFree

I am a big fan of OpenBSD's PF and a few other things, but this policy
of giving some users the power to abuse others seems like a shamefull
thing to be proud of, which is why prefer most GNU/Linux distributions
to *BSDs.

Some do think like you do, until they are "backstabbed" and then come
back to the GPL or LGPL (like WINE, for instance).

Fedora and Red Hat are actually pretty neat in terms of user Freedom.
Not only does Fedora strongly object proprietary drivers, but also Red
Hat has used it's pockets to free software (a not exclusive act, so did
Sun with OpenOffice and more recently Novell with certain software that
was proprietary on SuSE.

That said: this thread is way longer than it deserves, and I should know
better than add one more mail :)