Re: Turn off Macromedia Nag in Firefox.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:33:26 -0700
Keith <kewradio@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  How do I turn off the notification bar that macromedia is not installed
> in the Firefox (AKA IceWeasel) Web Browser?

I don't know any way to turn off just the flash nag, but you can
turn off all nags with a two step process:

Visit the URL about:config, search for "plugin" in the filter field
that will appear, double click on the value for "plugin.default_plugin_disabled"
and set it to "false".

That turns off the annoying yellow bar that appears, but now firefox
falls back to the original popup window, which is just as annoying.

Step two is therefore finding the libnullplugin.so file and renaming
it to something like NOTlibnullplugin.soNOT (it will be someplace
like /usr/lib64/firefox-1.5.0.7/plugins/libnullplugin.so, with
appropriate variations on version number and lib versus lib64).

Now, you will finally get zero nags about missing plugins (until
the next time you upgrade firefox and it installs a fresh copy of
libnullplugin.so which you'll have to rename again).