Re: Boot fails after change of motherboard (using LVM)

On 10/13/2006 04:19 PM Rick Stevens wrote:
Also, when you do the mkinitrd, make sure you use

	mkinitrd -f -v /boot/initrd-$(uname -r) $(uname -r)

Watch the output and make sure the "sata_via" module gets loaded into
the initrd.

I've followed your suggestions, modified the /etc/modprobe.conf file and recreated the initrd with the above command and restarted my system with partial success.
My system does now find and activate my volume group.  Yeah!!

However, another error message which I've seen before but didn't list in my original mail since I thought it was a follow-up message from not finding the volume group is still present:
   mount: error 6 mounting ext3
   ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
   error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
   error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
   error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
   error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 3
   switchroot: mount failed: 22

I am guessing the system is trying to mount the root tree which is part of the volume group but why would that fail after it found the volume?

Thanks again for your help!

Volker