enabling Ethernet card

Hi, I am a brand new Fedora user--just getting my toe into the water with it--so please excuse my unsophisticated use of the lingo.

I'm having a problem getting online at home with my Ethernet card not being "enabled" although it worked at my BIL's house where we installed Fedora just fine.   Both of us are using cable internet.

I tried going through administrative steps to ''enable" the card and first it seems to be doing it, then at the last minute it gives some error message.    I tried removing the card from the list and letting the system search for and add it again, but no improvement.

Any suggestions?