Re: Copying a user to a new user?

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 22:46 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 19:05 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 20:10 +1300, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> >
> > > does it work recursivly through multiple levels of the file tree, and
> > > does it mater who owns what in /etc/skel before I create the new
> > > user?
> >
> > Try it and see.  You're creating a new user, so you're not going to
> > stuff up any existing users.
> >
> > The skel directory populates *new* users, so it couldn't possibly
> > already have the ownerships set for that new user.  My guess would be
> > that it'd be filled with root owned files and folders, so that no other
> > ordinary user could poison things for new users.
>
> As I mentioned earlier, in the Linux BBS days files in skel would be
> installed in a new users /home/username directory and all of them would
> be chown'd by the new user... the whole reason for skel.... back when.
> Give it a whirl, you can't hurt nuttin'. Ric

You _can_ hurt something if you put something in there that you want
limited in scope as to which users get that feature.

In general, things in /etc/skel should be items that will get configured
for EVERY user.  Things that are limited in scope to a few users should
not really go in that area.

You also can write a simple script of your own to add items that are
specific to a few users and eliminate the problem above.