Re: no sound at command line

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:21:50 -0400, Guy Schlosser wrote:

> Hey all, just wanted to write and see if I can get some help.  I am
> running Fedora Core 6, test 3 on a P-4 2.8 GHZ HT processor with an
> AC'97 sound chip.  I can get sound in X Windows, using Gnome and
> Orca, but when I try to issue commands like:
> $festival
> SayText "Hello"
> I get no sound out of my speaker.  I've checked my amixer settings,
> and everything seems to be turned on and up to max.  Is there a
> service or kernel module I need to load?  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

I had a similar problem with flite (the light version of festival, which I recommend).
It was giving me an error, that it couldn't open /dev/dsp. Which means flite
(so possibly festival too) was programmed to use the old OSS drivers.
Check with /sbin/lsmod that you have snd_pcm_oss loaded. Also, if you
you get any error message when running festival, post it here, we
may be able to tell more.