Re: Reinstalling grub?

Knute Johnson wrote:
Robert:

Is there a step missing? That all works but it still boots WinXP not grub.

Nothing is missing as far as writing the GRUB loader to the MBR but those steps assume that grub.conf is intact. (Which it should be if
nothing has happened except re-installing WinXP.)

The grub.conf file is just like it should be. I'm stuck as to what to try next.

I seem to recall that on one machine that was behaving that way,
I fixed the problem by changing the partition that was marked
"active" using a tool like partition magic.  But should this
matter to grub???