Re: FC5 SAMBA security=share [homes] problem

On Thursday 12 October 2006 11:59, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> Gary Stainburn wrote:
>
> > The problem appears to be that Samba isn't choosing the user, but I don't
> > know why. The user map entries in the log don't appear to return
> > anything.
>
> Works for me. I get an error, but it works:
>
> $ smbclient -U mk //carl/mk
> Password:
> Domain=[CRCNET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-1.fc5]
> Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
> smb: \> pwd
> Current directory is \\carl\mk\
>
> And I can get a (long) list of my files with ls.
>
> If I remove my password with:
>
> smbpasswd -x mk
>
> then I get the same error message like you:
>
> $ smbclient -U mk //carl/mk
> Password:
> Domain=[CRCNET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-1.fc5]
> Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
>
> Mogens

[root@larry2 samba]# smbpasswd -x igaunt
Deleted user igaunt.
[root@larry2 samba]# smbpasswd -a igaunt
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user igaunt.
[root@larry2 samba]# smbpasswd -e igaunt
Enabled user igaunt.
[root@larry2 samba]# smbclient -U igaunt //larry2/igaunt
Password:
Domain=[LEEDS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-1.fc5]
Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
[root@larry2 samba]#

However, if I remove /etc/samba/smbpasswd and /etc/samba/smbusers Samba
behaves exactly the same, so I think it's not using these files.

--
Gary Stainburn