Re: [Fedora] Re: Outside access

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
Mark Haney wrote:
You can use cygwin/ssh.  We do that all the time.
While I agree with this, there's a very (VERY) high probability that the outside person would need something graphical on their end. And (at the moment) not knowing what platform they're on - I'm waiting for an e-mail reply - I can't even begin to offer solutions. But I figured if i can at least get the ball rolling here, it might give me some ideas of how best to approach this problem.

Preferred would be some drag-n-drop interface on their machine. Whether they're on Windows or Mac, they would need to have access to a specific folder on our (Windows) file server (which in and by itself is another headache since the file server does not employ any kind of user login, it's just set up for guest access and any John, Jane, and Jekyll in the building can access it and everything on it.)

Another possibility I thought of was to have an specific (user) folder on one of our internet servers (FC5) and have them ftp into that. Then through samba, have that folder also available on our internal network. This protects against outside access all the way into our network, but does require me to do a bit more legwork.

You can still use WinSCP for sftp file transfers, it has a GUI that is pretty neat actually. It's dual-pane like Explorer, so the learning curve wouldn't be that bad for a new user.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator