Re: Reinstalling grub?

Knute Johnson wrote:
How about giving Super Grub a try.  It can be found here:
http://adrian15.raulete.net/grub/tiki-index.php
Looks like a good answer for all of us that are having problems with
windows and Linux dual booting.
Peter

Thanks Peter, I'll take a look.

If you haven't got that problem resolved yet, I have the following printed and taped inside my Windows/FC5 box. This worked on an old system with 2 IDE drives. It also works on a newer system with 3 SCSI and no IDE drives. Hope this helps.

Recovery from a screwed MBR (Install GRUB)

1. Boot with a rescue CD
   Go through the obligatory BS; network not needed
2. Once rescue finds Linux, hit OK. Do NOT do the chroot.
        Run grub. Then, from the grub> prompt:
   a. If /boot is an integral part of the / partition:
      grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
                         -or-
   b. If /boot is in a separate partition:
      grub> find /grub/stage1
                   -in either case-
   Grub answers with drive and partition: (hd1,0)
3. Set the root for grub:
   grub> root (hd1,0) (or whatever returned above)
4. Write the MBR on the 1st drive
   grub> setup (hd0)
   (grub will print a bunch of crap, double-checking, and install itself.)
5. Remove the rescue CD and reboot.