Re: Suspend and the blinking power led

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Louis Garcia wrote:

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 21:53 -0400, Louis Garcia wrote:
I noticed that windows doesn't have the power led blinking when
suspended as fedora does. Any reason for this? how much power does that
consume? Is their a way to change the behavior? This is on a laptop by
the way.

The difference is probably the nature of the suspend. Suspend to disk
is when the system writes the memory to disk (swap area usually) and
then turns off completely. No power used and no lights flashing.
Suspend to memory is a different sort of hibernation where the system
is put to sleep but the memory is kept powered up to retain its
contents. This mode does require some power to keep the memory powered
and usually has some kind of flashing light. The benefit of this
approach is it is much faster to suspend/resume then the to-disk
approach.
So, how did you suspend the machine in each case ?

Chris

-Louis

So lets talk linux terminology. The gnome menu has suspend and shut
down/hibernate, which does what? I thought suspend meant suspend to disk
and hibernate was suspend to ram?

In Windows terminology, hibernate means suspend to disk. In the GNOME menus (in FC5), I don't see an alternative to suspending. The System pulldown offers Suspend and Shutdown options, and the Shutdown option offers Suspend, Restart, and Shut Down. The gnome-power applet Preferences menu allows you to select Suspend or Hibernate when the lid is closed or battery is critical or the system is idle. There doesn't seem to be a way to hibernate from the menus.

-Louis

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences