Re: [OT] OpenOffice characters

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 20:38 -0400, CodeHeads wrote:
> On 10/9/06, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > just a guess...that open office is automatically converting a dash to
> > em-dash, bullets, etc.
> >
> > Craig
>
> How in the world do I stop that! LOL :)
----
have them download and install openoffice on Windows and then they also
get bonus access to 'open document' formats as well.

http://www.oasis-open.org/home/index.php

Otherwise, you remain a slave to peculiar/undocumented document formats
such as Microsoft's 'DOC'

You can of course dumb down openoffice.org and turn off auto formatting
(a big mistake in my book) or pick & choose the auto format options in
Tools => AutoCorrect => Options but then I am guessing that your problem
is that you are ultimately saving the file as a Word Document 'DOC' and
not in open document format 'ODT'

Suggest that you save leave the formatting and corrections as is, save
it in ODT format and let them download openoffice.org (it's free) and
your problems are solved. Maybe some day Microsoft will get the concept
of standards.

Craig