system-config-httpd vs /etc/httpd/conf.d

In the recent past we have recommended system-config-httpd to novice administrators to assist them in setting up virtual hosts. It is allot easier to use and understand than the 'webmin' equivalents (IMNSHO).

However, with a fully updated FC5 this no longer works. I am not certain which version of what broke it.

The symptoms are:

1. system-config-httpd creates a monolothic /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file.
   2.   The virtual hosts (by name) are ignored.
3. Cut and paste the virtual hosts section(s) into file(s) in /etc/httpd/conf.d and all is well. 4. No means of configuring system-config-httpd to use /etc/httpd/conf.d is apparent.

Any advice, or good options (NOT webmin)?