Re: How to create a DVD image with very large files?

At 7:55 AM -0400 10/9/06, William W. Austin wrote:
>On 2006-10-04 at 08:31:28, Mogens Kjaer <mk@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Patrick Doyle wrote:
>>> For some reason, this makes me think that mkisofs isn't happy with
>>> my
>>> 6.5 Gbyte tarball.
>>
>> I think this is a limitation with the ISO 9660 standard.
>>
>> So a 64 bit machine, etc. etc. won't help.
>>
>> Try making a UDF file system instead.
>>
>(SNIP)
>
>I had thought it was just a 32-bit limitation, so out of curiosity I
>tried it on a 64-bit system.  Oops: mkisofs (x86_64) fails to make the
>file. After looking at (and older version of) the code, I believe that
>P. Doyle is correct.
>
>If the UDF file system is *NOT* an option for some reason, then an
>alternative would be to use split to break the tar file into multiple
>(for instance just under 2GB) pieces:

Another option is to use growisofs instead of mkisofs to make the iso.  See
the technical ramblings on the growisofs web page for why it helps (google
for "growisofs" and you'll probably be lucky).
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>