Re: intel core 2 duo

Phil Meyer wrote:
Louis Garcia wrote:
Just got my hands on a laptop with this chip. Any difference installing
i386 or x86_64 version of fedora? I've heard fedora had a problem with
this new chip?

-Louis

There is NO advantage installing a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit CPU that has extended features to EMULATE AMD 64 bit instructions. Other than memory address space and a few other things that will never be warranted on today's laptops.

Stick with 32 bit Fedora on all intel CPU platforms except itanic. You will be fine.

Having said that, I would also propound that the opposite is true for AMD 64 bit CPU platforms. You can lose up to 15 percent (from my own personal tests) performance by running a 32 bit made for intel instruction set on AMD CPUs, because it has to EMULATE 32 bit instructions.

Could you please provide some documentary evidence for your assertion that AMD64 processors EMULATE [your emphasis, not mine] 32 bit instructions?

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555