Re: Using fedora on old pc

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 18:00 +0300, nicolas angel wrote:
> thanks for your answers,
>
> >but, faster than what ???
> i wanted to write which combination will provide the best
> result.....[from the aspect of speed]
>

> > .... Be sure the crank is in it's loaded
> > and locked position, or it will become impossibly slow.
>
> i am not sure i understood this sentence, could you explain it.....

The crank! The crank that old computers have to make them go... a joke!
<chuckles>

> >KDE worked well enough. So, stick the FC5 CD in and let her rip.
> isn't it true that gnome is lighter than KDE??

There's several desktops much lighter than both. Trying to remember
their names off the top of my head, XFCE? Something like that.

KDE can be a hawg for sure. But your older machine has more speed and
memory than the one I used to run FC5 and KDE on, so it's not impossible
at all.

But you may find yourself doing a text-based install depending on your
video card setup. That is no biggie at all. Keep the animation crap and
bells and whistles turned off, plus any unnecessary services, it'll go
just fine.
Your machine beats the Hell out of my old 486 with 32 megs of memory. I
ran Caldera on it and it served 20 users on old B&W terminals and 8
modems. The good ole BBS days, AHH! My Youth! It's sure gone now!!
<grins> Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256