Strange exim .include behavior

Good afternoon-

I have an exim configuration I use on a
number of Gentoo boxes and have begun to
experiment with FC4 for future deployments.

Exim is 4.62 in both environments.

The trouble is with a particular
.include statement. It works find on the
Gentoo machines but not on the FC4.

Here is the output of exim -bV:

[root@e exim]# exim -bV
Exim version 4.62 #1 built 02-May-2006 07:39:12
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2006
Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.3.27: (March 13, 2006)
Support for: crypteq iconv() IPv6 PAM Perl TCPwrappers OpenSSL Content_Scanning Old_Demime Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmnz dnsdb dsearch ldap ldapdn ldapm mysql nis nis0 nisplus passwd pgsql sqlite
Authenticators: cram_md5 cyrus_sasl plaintext spa
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
Fixed never_users: 0
Size of off_t: 4
2006-10-05 16:30:10 Exim configuration error in line 491 of /etc/exim/exim.conf: failed to open included configuration file /var/local/mailconfig/local/localdelivery

The error occurs when I run exim with
-bV or -bh. But, when I start the exim daemon,
there is no error.

The even weirder thing is that if I move the
.include line from the transport section up
to the main section, it includes just fine
(with a syntax error because it's a transport
def)

The file does includes from the same directory,
with the same permissions elsewhere in the file
with no problems (everything is world readable
since I've been trying to track this down). It's
not a typo or missing file, because, I can paste
the error value into an 'ls -l' and get the file
back--and exim runs in daemon mode without
an error.

I've racked my now feeble brain on this for
a while now and my Google searches have been
fruitless. I'm writing to the Fedora list
because, as I mentioned, I use this same config
on a number of Gentoo systems without a problem.

Any idea what's going on or what I should be
looking for?

TIA,

  -dub