Re: Linux home data center challenge :-)

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, David Fletcher wrote:

At 00:40 05/10/2006, you wrote:

I was just speculating how hard it would be to turn my Fedora
box (which is up all the time) into the central system all
my other computers go to for information (smtp, dns, imap, dhcp,
etc).

This is something I also fancy doing sometime, but I would question whether Fedora is the best distribution for the purpose. What is needed IMHO is something that once set up will be extremely stable and won't need to be upgraded for a long time. Because of the relatively rapid fire release cycle of Fedora it is great for the desktop where you want all the latest stuff but not necessarily for a server.

Ubuntu Server is currently promising, I think, a five year support period, so that is the one we are currently looking at for a new engineering department server at work. I've got it experimentally set up on what used to be my desktop PC, serving files and some queues for networked printers via Samba. I've not tried setting up email services yet - that's also something I want to try to learn to do in the future. I'm keeping notes on what I've done to it so far to set it up, if you want to see these just email me off list and I'll send the file over to you.

Since you are already using fedora, you might want to look at Centos. That is
a rebuild of RHEL. 7 year support IIRC.

Regards,

--
Tom Diehl		tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx		Spamtrap address mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx