Re: Installation problem

Thank you Jim.Thanks for your immediate reply. I replaced the driver 'radeon' with 'vesa'   in xorg.conf file . Now I am able to go to GUI mode. I set the resolution to 1024x768. Now its looking good.

-venkat

Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Venkat N wrote:
> Hi,
> Iam new to linux. I tried to install Fedora 5. But Iam unable to
> install it in graphical mode. I tried to install it in text mode by
> typing 'linux text' at prompt:
> I could install it. but when i say 'startx' at prompt: Iam unable to
> go to the GUI mode. Iam able to see garbled screen. I tried to install
> using expert,lowres,nofb,noprobe mothods. But no use. Can anyone give me
> any suggestion please...?
>
> Note: Iam able to run the live CD successfully on my machine. But the
> problem is with the installation only.
>
> My system configuration is...
>
> Processor : Intel Pentium 2.88 dual core
> Mother board : Intel 102d2
> RAM : 512mb
> Monitor : 17'' LCD (LG)

I noticed the scrambling problem on one of my computers that has an
Intel 815 card when using the vesa driver. If you are seeing diagonal
lines in the scramble.
I could not find info on your computer board, so I do not know which
video chipset it has.

Since you installed with all of the options that you supplied, the X
display probably has the vesa driver.

First item is to check your grub entries and see if you can remove the
options from the kernel boot line. If you boot and it still locks up,
you might try to run 'system-config-display --reconfig' in order to
setup a proper driver for your Intel motherboard video.

This won't fix your problems, I hope it leads you in what to look for.

Jim
--
An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.